The Science: What Happens When You Cheat
So you’ve cheated and you’ve thrown your body out of fat-burning ketosis. The bad news: you pretty much have to start from scratch. The good news: you’ve already done this before and you know exactly what to do to get back on track.
Cheating on your keto diet, by ingesting a large amount of carbs or sugars, can have some pretty drastic consequences. The biggest shock you’ll feel is what’s known as the “Keto Flu”. Remember how rough you felt your first week of keto? Yep, that’s gonna happen again and those effects or symptoms are exactly what the Keto-Flu is.
Having a high-carb cheat day or cheat meal puts your body out of ketosis. To bring your body back into ketosis will be a long process, and can significantly set you back.
- A spike in blood sugar and insulin levels
- Increased cravings
- Damage your blood vessels (having in mind the rapid glucose spikes)
- And a suspended weight loss process
How to Get Back on Track?
It’s going to take you 24 hrs to a week while following the simple steps below to get back with the keto program.
1. Forgive yourself
You cheated, it happened. You are human and you are going to make mistakes. Understand this, keto is a process and there will always be ups and downs. Do your best to get back on track and stop kicking yourself for having a bad day.
2. Up the fat, go carb-free
You probably cheated because you weren’t feeling full, right? You need to up the fat and completely eliminate the carbs. More fat will help you feel full and satisfied. It will also help cut down on all the junk food cravings.
3. Balance your electrolytes
You need to up the water intake and make sure you’re getting enough sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium. Drink plenty of water and go for more nuts, seeds, and leafy greens – they are all high in electrolytes. Also, you could try taking a keto-friendly electrolyte supplement.
4. Get Moving, Exercise
Physical activity will deplete the body of all that sugar and glycogen you just inhaled. The quicker you get those cheat carbs out of you the quicker you can get back to ketosis and start burning fat again.
5. Intermittent Fasting
Pick up your fasting! You need to burn off all that extra glucose before your body can get back to burning off your stored body fast. Intermittent fasting will allow your body to catch back up after falling behind thanks to that cheat meal.
6. Pick up some MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) supplement or oil
Think of MCT as a keto performance enhancer. MCT boosts the effects of a keto diet and it is the extra push you need to shoot you back into ketosis after a cheat day. Adding a little more MCT can speed up your timetable and reduce the amount of time spent suffering from Keto Flu.
Avoiding Temptation (Make Sure It Doesn’t Happen Again)
Now that you’re back on your way to weight loss, it’s time to make sure it doesn’t happen again. One or two mistakes are fine, but a few more then that can lead to finding yourself stuck with a bad habit.
So how to get better and tell temptation to stuff it…
- Eliminate the “perfectionist” attitude: you’re not perfect and you never will be, sorry!
- Get educated on keto and body health: the more you know about the benefits and pitfalls of keto, the less likely you’re going to fall off the rails
- Plan ahead of time: prepare a response for another slip and minimize the damage of your next cheat day by being ready beforehand.
- Invest in your cooking (make your own keto-friendly “cheat” meals): staying in the kitchen and staying away from restaurants makes making good choices that much easier
- Avoid alcohol: you’re not you when you’re drunk…
And get yourself a plan, like KetoCycle, and stick to it. Having a personalized routine and guided advice can make or break your diet. Take keto one step and one choice at a time with KetoCycle. Trust the process, and stop giving yourself such a hard time, ok?